Monday, July 19, 2010

Tears of Joy


The National Cathedral. Why is it that some amazing artists took such great care to
construct those unbelievable stain-glass windows? No picture ever does them justice.
Simply Beautiful inside.
I cannot think of the last time I cried simply because something was beautiful.
We fount ourselves at the front of the Cathedral, where we came to a quartet
practicing Mendelssohn, Wedding March. It resonated up to the beautiful beamed ceiling,
and floated back down to our ears.
It was so beautiful, I cried. The children, Jeff and even Henry were all silent, and motionless.
It was more powerful then I can explain.
This little sculpture sits on an island, on the Potomac,
just near the Lincoln Memorial (well, sort of).
Roosevelt Island.
It had great potential to be amazing, but the waterless fountains and dry river channels
led our thoughts to hoping this would be grander.
No worries, we still REALLY enjoyed our Friday night picnic, bugless,
and enjoyed the space to just RUN.
I never did read if this was a "to scale" replica.
Ah, the good old days.
Yes, these beauties (the chairs) were FREE, just near my FAVORITE
(well, one of them) places to shop. Its a dive of a food market, but sells produce at a fraction of the regular cost. Its called "Grand Mart" and I'm planning on taking ya'll on a virtual tour
one of these next days.
Love the prices, love the unusual products, love the location.
Are you kidding? This pumpkin is so stinkin unbelievable.
Look at those thighs. (oh, Henry's, not Jeffs)
Auntie Tessa came to town!!!
We've had a great time with Auntie Tess while she's been staying with us for the week.
She came to the Building Museum with us, and was great entertainment for the kiddos.
Its been SO fun for Luce to have family in town. (she's my cousin)
Tess has hung around with us, and put site seeing on the back burner,
which gives us all time to be with her, and helped us feel more like family, not a hotel.
Charlies chubby toes. Funny that i never told him not to wear my shoes, he just always
goes for Jeffs shoes, and Luce always goes for mine.

1 comment:

Auds Beck said...

Jacks-once again some awesome pics, the one that struck me the most was Luc and Char in the chairs-Luc is HUGE, I can't believe how big she is getting-I am saving my pennies for a vist(pennies are all I've got) You look like you are having a great time (keep it up!) Henny is sooo cute.LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE-ME:)