Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Burn Notice!

Biggest regret: Well. There may be 2. 
First: Wish I had been able to take more pictures over the last 2 weeks
Second: Sure wish I hadn't tripped up the last step, carrying HOT WAX!!! 
I'm regretting to tell you no matter how hard I ever thought moments in my life were, these last 2 weeks have been what Hell must be like.


Tuesday morning, the day after I won 100 dollars for a personal goal, ACHIEVED, I tripped up our last step. The bubbling wax cascaded onto my hand, and onto the carpet. 
After screaming, and trying to wipe it off, I rushed into the bathroom. 
Cool water did nothing but waste my time, so what else was I to do with this hot wax, but rip it off. 
I did. At first, after seeing this, I thought, oh FEW!!! it only took the hair (lol)
 and after a second look, um.....nope. that was my skin, layers and layers of my hand. 
In a panic, I called Jeff, who met me at the trauma center, took the kids, while I had the remaining wax cut off, and my hand then cleaned and treated!!! 
I thought I had seen pain, and can't even imagine how people endure burns greater then this. 
I couldn't even look at the burn with out feeling pain. 
Even water lightly touching it would send me into a frenze. 
It remained elevated, above my heart, until just yesterday, from the great pain that would shoot into it. 
I began to worry if I'd regain any use of any of my fingers, if I'd develop carpal tunnel from the constant cramp my had was forced to surrender to. 
If my fingers would ever function as they would....
The next few days, I took 2 naps a day. Each over 2 hours.  
The pain was so intoxicating!  These last 2 weeks are now a blur. 
I wish I was kidding when I say it was horrible, but it was.
It was truly everything a nightmare could be, and more! 
I think some of it I may have been in a coma. lol
It was perfect timing that we just moved here, have meet only a select few people, barley know my way around town, have no friends, neighbors, family to help...just made coping all that more difficult. 
This is day 12, when I truly began
to wonder if I'd ever get my hand back!
BUT, we are onto the 16th day, and I am so happy to report an improvement. 
Like I said, my biggest regret was not documenting these last 2 weeks. 
Really, I was on survival mode! I'm just lucky all 5 of us are alive!!

(Most likely you are thinking 'what a baby' and you can think that! Think whatever you like! I know this is not a fraction of pain and suffering people endure, but for these 2 weeks, this was all I knew. I am just SO grateful it was not over more of my body, or a damaging accident occurred. I was unfortunate to have it happen, but so fortunate this was all that happened!) 


We missed documenting some great things!
* Like not doing my hair for 14 days STRAIT!!! 
(Hats and scarves can only look so good for so long. In fact, Jeff even said kindly 'so, when do you think you'll do your hair again?')
*An AMAZING family trip to Boulder (oh GOSH can't wait to go back for a girls trip in OCT!!!!!)
*trips to the zoo
*the colorado bike race
*the dinners we ate over 2 weeks (one of which was McDonalds!!! Never before has such a feast been had in the Sanders home! The kids were in heaven)
Jeff was a super star helping with the kids, food, cooking, cleaning, and putting up with the emotional train wreck of a woman that had eclipsed his former wife. 
BUT we did document some great events
LUCYS FIRST DAY OF PRESCHOOL!!!
Story:
So, we live in Denver. Proper. Right by the zoo. 
We bought a house in Centennial. 
Technically, thats just 13 miles to the south! BUT, in morning traffic, it takes over 45 MIN to get there. 
SO.....to get Lucy to preschool by 9am, we leave at 8:15. 
Here is Lucy on the first day of Preschool. 
CORRECTION:
In my coma state, we managed to go the wrong day!!! 
This is Lucy, @ her school, at what was suppose to be the first day. 
She was heart broken, and devastated! 
I felt horrible! 


But THIS, this really is her first day! 
She was over the moon! 

What we have been doing is riding ourselves silly around our streets. 
We have great flat sidewalks, and our back entrance leads to an ally. (all the homes have back driveways/allys) it makes for the perfect place to bike!!! And we truly spend hours out there. 







We have amazing sunflowers in our yard, so, we harvested them, soaked them, and roasted them! 
What a yummie treat to have home grown sunflower seeds. 


While Lucy is @ preschool, the boys and I have 3 hours to kill (instead of driving home for 45 min, then driving back, only to drive home AGAIN) so this day, we went the littleton museum and farm. 
They loved it !



AND- not to forget our first camping excursion.  (this was BEFORE the burn) 
We headed to the highest (in elevation) city in the NATION....Leadville 
we LOVED the cooler weather, the festival, roasting marshmallows, hotdogs, climbing, 
fresh water lakes, a BUG FREE great outdoors, and our first camping trip in the great state of CO! 









Have extra peanuts? 
Why not turn it into homemade peanut butter? 

What our evenings look like around here. 
A shot from the patio, after dining outside, which we do daily. 

We haven't stopped yet!! 
In just 12 days, we'll move into our new home! 
We can't wait to see what types of adventures may follow!! 
Cheers. 


4 comments:

Joey and Nettifer said...

oh my goodness oh my goodness oh my goodness! I am so sorry! That looks painful and so horrible. I wish I lived closer. I would totally come over and take care of you.
I love that you live in Denver! Sad we never got to visit when you lived in DC. I can't wait to see all of your adventures and it looks like you hit the ground running!

Megs, Brad, and Abbie said...

That sounds terrible!!! I have had a teeny tiny burn from the stove or curling iron and it hurts like the dickens for days, I can't even begin to imagine the pain a burn all over your whole hand must feel like. I am so sorry, hopefully you will feel even more relief over the coming days. Wish I was closer so I could help and our kids could play!! :)

Auds Beck said...

Wowweezerbambeezer!! I am sooo glad you posted your horror story for all to see and read!! I am so glad it is getting better! Hooray! What a wonderful neighborhood to be in, and those cute kids with their helmets on :) Oh Luc, poor kid! I am glad it was just a day off....Leave it up to you guys to go camping before anything else, you always are so fun and do crazy cool things. Jeff can only now appreciate ALL you do everyday even more. I can't wait to hear all the awesome adventures you have in your new house. Send us some sunflowers(the kids can come too!) love love love

Heidi Henderson said...

I am just sad. I can only IMAGINE the pain. I feel for you and wish I were there to help! I'm sorry you had to go through that. You are a freakin amazing woman!!!!